Sunday, January 29, 2012

James IV and I "True Law of Free Monarchies" 1598

The theme in this reading passage is to tell of the authorities of the King. The second part of the passage tells of all the rights of the King for what one should be able to do as ruler of the monarchy. It also compares a king to God. The first part talks about how to choose a king.

The part that stood out to me the most was the part where it compares a king to God. This caught my attention because it called kings "God's lieutenants upon earth." I do not agree with this idea and which is mostly why it stood out to me so much.

This generated the idea that the people under the King's rule viewed him as a god figure. The idea that people would view another man as a form of a diety is a new idea to me.

This reading parallels to the powers prescribed to the president. I say this because the second part of the passage tells about the power limitations of a king and they are similar to that of the limitations of the president. In this way, I believe that this article correlates to the modern idea of the power of a president.

No comments:

Post a Comment